Position Description and Overview
The Senior Director of Development (SDD) works directly with the Executive Director to sustain and grow the Baton Rouge Zoo Foundation’s fundraising program. The Senior Director of Development for the Foundation should be an experienced, entrepreneurial, articulate and highly motivated professional with at least seven years of experience in the non-profit fund development field. The SDD will foster relationships with key funding organizations and influential/philanthropic individuals to create enduring partnerships with the Baton Rouge Zoo Foundation. He/she will be held accountable for cycling those relationships inside a moves management system toward new sponsorships, grants and individual philanthropic gifts to the Foundation.
- Participate in the development and execution of the annual Fundraising Plan, to include donor acquisition, prospect research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies to increase revenues in support of the Baton Rouge Zoo Foundation and its mission.
- Work with the ED to develop annual giving programs to support all of the Foundation’s revenue streams: Major Gifts (Individual, Corporate, and Foundation giving); Mid-level: Moving small gifts to larger gifts (i.e. monthly donor program); and Broad-based support: Direct Mail, Online Giving, and fundraising campaigns through Social Media.
- Manage a portfolio of 2-4 top-tier corporate and foundation partners.
- Identify, cultivate and manage a portfolio of individual donor prospects.
- Work with the Board of Directors, key donors and community leaders to maximize their personal and professional fundraising contributions.
- Partner with the ED on the development and implementation of Cause Marketing events.
- Partner with the Special Events Coordinator to secure event sponsorships.
- Utilize Bloomerang fundraising system capabilities to develop and maintain a prospect profile, strategy and tracking/priority system.
- Participate in Foundation strategic planning efforts including to develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities ensuring plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Participate in the annual Foundation budget development process.
- Prepare regular reports as requested on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditures related to fundraising and the management of assigned fund development activities.
- Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree – preferably in marketing, nonprofit management, fund development or related discipline.
- Experience: Minimum seven years of non-profit fund development.
- Proven track record of achieving fund development goals; in-depth knowledge of fundraising management systems, major gift cultivation and stewardship, and corporate/foundation proposal processes.
- Communication skills: excellent written and verbal communications skills, with demonstrated ability to create clear and persuasive communications in both traditional and digital formats.
- Software Proficiency: Adept at Microsoft Office products, and experience with Bloomerang, Raiser’s Edge, or similar CRM/Development databases.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Must possess the visual acuity to develop written correspondence and determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned.
- Must be physically able to perform the basic life operational functions of talking, hearing, sitting for long periods, performing repetitive motions, such as using a computer.
- Must be able to work outdoors in LA heat and humidity as needed for special events.
- Must be able to speak audibly, write legibly and perform repetitive motions such as typing.
- Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs. unassisted.
Location and Compensation
- Position is based at the Baton Rouge Zoo.
- This is a full-time salaried position based on experience and qualifications.
- Salary range: $90,000-$110,000
Contact: Dee Blake 225-775-3877, ext. 6262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org