Habitat for Humanity Greater Baton Rouge is looking for an experienced and visionary leader to guide the organization toward its next chapter of growth and impact. Habitat for Humanity is a well-respected nonprofit organization that has been providing affordable housing to families in need for 34 years in the Greater Baton Rouge area. Since 1989, the organization has built and mortgaged 405 homes and has helped many families achieve their dream of homeownership. If selected, you’ll be joining an organization whose mission is to eliminate substandard housing in the Greater Baton Rouge area. We provide opportunities for families in need to purchase their own homes and improve their lives. We help build community by involving diverse religious, social, and business groups in constructing safe, affordable homes and neighborhoods.
Since its founding in 1989, the affiliate has helped over 400 families purchase safe, affordable homes, made critical home repairs to over 60 homes, and substantially rebuilt 26 homes following the 2016 flood. HFHGBR programming encompasses its First Time Homebuyer program, Critical Home Repair & Weatherization program, and two Habitat ReStore locations selling new and gently used home furnishings and building materials at discounted prices. Proceeds from the ReStore help fund the construction of Habitat houses within the Baton Rouge community.
Summary: The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing and leading all aspects of the Habitat for Humanity Affiliate in Baton Rouge, including, but not limited to employee leadership, fundraising, retail outlet operations, volunteer management, community outreach, construction operations, and financial management. The Director will ensure accountability and transparency throughout the affiliate. This position works closely with the Board of Directors to set strategic goals, develop and implement policies and procedures, and ensure that the affiliate operates in accordance with Habitat for Humanity International's guidelines, standards, and mission.
Essential Operational Duties and Responsibilities
These duties refer to the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities involved in running and managing the organization's programs, services, and activities. The effective execution of these operational duties is critical to the success and sustainability of the nonprofit organization.
- Develop and implement short and long-term strategic plans and goals for the affiliate.
- Promote the affiliate's overall vision, direction, health, and growth.
- Ensure that the affiliate maintains compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, and evaluate the organization's fiscal function and performance.
- Identify and negotiate the purchase of real estate as necessary to meet the goals and objectives of the affiliate.
- Work with the Director of Construction to develop an annual build schedule, house pricing, and cost-saving measures as necessary.
- Oversee the management of all aspects of construction, family services, development, and financial operations.
Human Resource Management and Staff Development
Work with Human Resource Manager to ensure compliance with all human resources policies, procedures, and practices as outlined in the personnel manual and as governed by federal, state, and parish law.
- Oversee and participate in the screening, hiring, and termination of management staff.
- Provide direction, training, guidance, and supervision for management staff and volunteers.
- Coach and mentor, empowering staff and developing staff leaders.
- Provide direct supervision and evaluation of senior managers.
- Ensure annual performance management process for staff at all levels.
Community Relations/Fund Development
The Executive Director of Habitat is responsible for exhibiting robust leadership, maintaining high visibility, and effectively communicating Habitat's mission to the community. The Executive Director is answerable for safeguarding the organization's public reputation and credibility and ensuring the availability of adequate resources necessary to achieve the organization's objectives and goals.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the affiliate with all media outlets.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community partners, including local government officials, business leaders, and other non-profit organizations.
- Showcase the organization's work and impact in order to build trust and credibility with potential donors and supporters, ultimately leading to increased fundraising success.
- Work with the Development Director to actively pursue corporate and individual leads to secure gifts.
- Oversee the operation of two ReStores (retail outlets) ensuring maximum profitability.
The Habitat Executive Director will collaborate with senior staff to manage the entire home-building process, from inception to completion. In fulfilling this role, the Executive Director plays a crucial role in ensuring a safety-conscious environment and effective utilization of volunteers, all in the service of ensuring the successful completion of homes for deserving families.
- Work closely with the Construction Director and other staff to oversee construction activity and ensure that the construction of houses stays on schedule and within budget.
- Provide management oversight of construction projects, ensuring they are completed to plan and meet all zoning, permitting, and other requirements.
- Foster a safety-conscious environment for volunteers and staff, ensuring that all construction activities are conducted in a safe and responsible manner.
- Develop and maintain relationships with volunteers and oversee the recruitment and training of volunteers.
The Executive Director will work with the Finance Director to ensure the organization's financial systems are accurate, efficient, and compliant with all relevant regulations.
- Work with staff and Board to prepare a comprehensive budget and ensure that the organization operates within budgetary guidelines.
- Approve the expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenue and expenditures of the organization.
- Work with the Finance Director to oversee the organization's annual audit.
- Administer fiscal control, accountability, and budget reporting; approve operational and building expenditures and ensure that affiliate policies are carried out as directed.
- Provide execution of all grant and contract performance requirements.
- Maintain internal controls, safeguarding compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
As a key member of the organization, the individual in this role supports the Board of Directors in fostering effective teamwork among the board members and serving as a professional advisor to the Board on all matters related to the organization's activities.
- Assist Board Chair in setting the agenda for Board meetings, attend Board meetings and provide reports of all affiliate activities to the Board.
- Assist the Nominating Committee with recruiting members of the community to serve on the HFHGBR Board of Directors and established committees.
- Assist in providing new Board Member orientation.
- Assist the Board in developing a clear vision and strategic plan for the organization in the short and long term.
- Ability to speak effectively before staff, Board, partner families, and volunteers.
- Ability to articulate the mission of Habitat passionately to the media, large groups, and community leaders.
- Computer literacy with demonstrated ability to utilize required software for efficiency.
- Ability to work well with diverse individuals.
- Sensitivity to the needs of low-income and diverse family units.
- Capacity to develop and maintain successful and productive business relationships with homebuyers, homeowners, volunteers, Board of Directors, staff, and those in the professional community.
- Proven ability to plan and organize, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, and meet strict timelines under considerable changes in priorities at times.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner in all situations.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, non-profit management, or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership role in a non-profit organization or equivalent experience.
- Ability to lead and motivate staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Proven experience in fundraising, grant writing, and financial management.
Special Position Requirements
- Availability outside of regular business hours.
- Reliable, insured transportation.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Frequently stands; walks; sits; reaches with arms; may have to lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Pre-Requisite Requirements: Ability to pass a Criminal Background check and drug screening.
A letter of interest and resume should be sent to email@example.com by June 11, 2023. Respond by email only. The search process is to be completed in September of 2023.
Habitat of Humanity of Greater Baton Rouge, Inc. / ReStore of Baton Rouge, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation on the basis of race, color, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic tests or genetic information, veteran status, natural, protective, and cultural hairstyles, and/or any other basis protected by applicable law.