The Chief Development Officer (CDO) reports to the President & CEO and serves as a member of the C Team. They will develop and execute annual and long-range fund development plans to ensure continued growth in giving. They will develop relationships with key donors, supervise volunteer efforts, and participate in organization-wide leadership and decision-making.
- Works closely with Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors to develop and implement fundraising and program strategies to support the mission and goals of the Food Bank.
- Serve as a member of the C Team, contributing to organization-wide strategic direction and decision-making and ensuring fundraising plans and priorities are aligned with those of other departments
- Develop annual staffing plans and implement robust, achievable development goals that are tied to the organization’s overarching strategic plans and ensure accountability
- Establishes forecasts and evaluates fundraising potential; researches and identifies sources of funds to support Food Bank programs.
- Develops and implements innovative strategies for continually improving Food Bank’s impact, effectiveness, and quality of fundraising activities.
- Manage an active portfolio of current and prospective major donors
- Establishes guidelines for donor stewardship and recognition and oversees the effective and enthusiastic conveying of the organization’s appreciation for its donors.
- Actively works to increase membership in the Fraenkel Society by speaking with donors concerning the benefits and process for establishing a planned gift, and in the Hunger Action Council by soliciting multi-year pledge
- Ensures that adequate foundation, corporate and government grants are submitted to maximize income goals. Collaborates with Development and Finance staff to ensure appropriate grant reporting, documentation and required follow-up.
- Serves as a key spokesperson. Builds and maintains appropriate external relationships and coalitions. Stays abreast of relevant development opportunities with various community groups and agencies.
- Provides direction on the funding potential of established and future programs. Works closely with other departments to forecast funding needs, build community awareness and cultivate relationships.
- Lead, manage, and inspire a high-caliber team of development and communication professionals
- Works with Development staff and volunteers to coordinate and run successful events and campaigns.
- Oversees relationship with Direct Mail Contractor in the creation of appeals for direct mail and evaluates results of mailings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer or Board of Directors.
- A passionate, enthusiastic commitment to the mission of fighting hunger in Greater Baton Rouge and our surrounding parishes
- A minimum of seven to eight years of senior-level leadership experience managing successful development teams and a record of accomplishment in building significant fundraising programs; capital campaign experience would be a plus
- Proven ability to secure six- and seven-figure philanthropic gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations
- Experience hiring, managing, motivating, and retaining a team of staff that strives to achieve excellence and exceed goals
- Excellent written, verbal, and public communication skills with persuasive ability, including strong storytelling capacity and the ability to effectively convey the organization’s mission and humanize hunger
- Ability to relate effectively to other staff, volunteers, agency representatives, and the public • Honesty, integrity, and the capacity to make decisions supported by facts
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, ability to meet tight deadlines, multitask, and hold self and others accountable for results
- A willingness to be constructive by providing solutions, displaying optimism, being respectful and fair, and working as a team-player with peers and staff alike
- The ability to have fun along the way
- Experience with prospect and donor management fundraising software applications
- Solid fiscal management skills with experience in budget analysis, forecasting, and planning
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- A valid driver’s license
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience is required
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Disability Insurance (Employer funded)
- Supplemental Insurance
- 403(b) Retirement with 50% match up to 10% of salary
- Paid Time Off
Please email all resumes to Nicole Thibodeaux, HR Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org